Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Figures



(both in mid to early stages of completion)









For about the past four or five years, I have been working steadily on some figurative work. As you've seen in a few previous posts, I have always approached the figure through drawing.






(left) copy after Leonardo
(right) early drawing stages







But recently, as I have read about Rubens, Titian, Rembrandt and some others I have been being very deliberate about learning some technical methods dealing with rendering the human figure in paint.




(left) draw from photos
(right) hands and feet deliberately enlarged, very tentatively titled "Colossus"








As these technical experiments progressed I became more interested in combining the figure and the landscape and seeing what emerged from this. My last show in Portland in 2009 included about seven or eight of these figure/landscape combinations and now the itch has returned.



work from my solo show at Guardino Gallery in PDX




The ideas swirling in my head concerning this intersection involves both a human connection to the land and a separation from the land. The modern world and the emergence of technological reliance makes it harder and harder to truly connect with our natural environment.












I'm interested in old mythological and religious narratives involving figures and landscapes and I think the creation of some new, personally significant visual stories along these lines is where this is all headed. Stay tuned.






almost done?

1 comment:

  1. These renderings show a lot of growth and development from your earlier efforts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete